Taking care of grey hair
Grey hair is a natural part of the aging process, and while some people may feel self-conscious about it, there are many ways to embrace and care for your grey locks. Whether you are just starting to see a few grey hairs or you have a full head of silver, here are some tips to help you keep your grey hair looking its best:
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Grey hair can be more prone to dryness and breakage, so it is important to use products that are formulated specifically for grey hair. Look for products that contain nourishing ingredients like argan oil and keratin to help moisturize and strengthen your hair. Avoid using harsh sulfates, which can strip natural oils from the hair and scalp and cause dryness.
- Avoid using hot water when washing your hair. Hot water can strip natural oils from the hair and scalp, which can lead to dryness and breakage. Instead, use lukewarm water and rinse with cold water to help seal the cuticle and add shine to your hair.
- Use a leave-in conditioner or hair oil. Grey hair can be especially prone to dryness, so it is important to add moisture and protect your hair from heat styling and environmental damage. Look for leave-in conditioners or hair oils that contain nourishing ingredients like argan oil or coconut oil. Simply apply a small amount to your hair, concentrating on the ends, before styling.
- Use a low heat setting when blow-drying or heat styling your hair. Grey hair can be more fragile, so it is important to use a low heat setting to prevent damage. If you can, let your hair air dry instead of using heat.
- Get your hair trimmed regularly. Regular haircuts can help keep your hair healthy and prevent split ends, which can make your hair look dry and damaged. Aim to get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks.
- Eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet that is rich in proteins, iron, and other nutrients can support the health of your hair. Foods like salmon, eggs, nuts, and leafy green vegetables are all great sources of nutrients that can help keep your hair looking its best.
- Avoid using tight hairstyles. Tight hairstyles that put too much tension on your hair, such as ponytails or cornrows, can cause breakage and damage. Instead, opt for looser hairstyles that allow your hair to move freely.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase. Cotton pillowcases can cause friction on your hair, which can lead to breakage and damage. Instead, use a silk or satin pillowcase, which can help reduce friction and keep your hair looking smooth and shiny.
- Embrace your grey hair. Finally, remember that grey hair is a natural part of the aging process, and there is nothing wrong with embracing it. Whether you choose to cover your grey hair or let it shine, the most important thing is to take care of it and feel confident in your own skin.
We hope these tips are helpful and give you some ideas for caring for your grey hair.
Book in for your hair appointment today and don’t forget to add FUL London’s Intense Moisture Hair Mask to keep your hair looking healthy!
Visit Live True London Soho | 020 4531 4743 or our other salons:
Live True London Clapham Salon | 020 7627 0169
Live True London Vauxhall and Nine Elms Salon | 020 7582 6312
Live True London Brixton Salon | 020 7924 9506